Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Erzurum - Turkey

Erzurum lies in a high plain at 1850 meters, near the Palandöken mountains (3125 meters) and the Kargapararı mountains (3288 meters). It used to be of great importance as a station along the Silk Road and still is the most important city in Eastern Turkey. During a period of over 2000 years it was part of the empires of the Armenians, Byzantines, Arabs, Seljuks, Ottomans and Russians. In an earlier text I gave an explanation for its name that triggered so much discussion (see below) that it forced me to change this text: I give up on that subject. If you feel like it you can join the discussion (as long as you do not use offensive language or incite to hatred). The city has several fine Seljuk buildings, and a �feel� that is wilder than in the cities to the West.

June 2006 I made a lot of new pictures, a selection of which I now publish. As a result the pictures from some major munuments are a strange mixture between Kodachrome scans and digital pictures, different seasons, all that. Lokman (see comment below) can be happy: apart from some more kids I added lots of modern aspects of this city. I hope he does not consider me that stupid any more, though he seemed to be one of those people who only see themselves as bright. And hey what, maybe he is? If you feel like congratulating him, send him an e-mail at lcguven@hotmail.com . I think he will be pleased.